Sunday 30 August 2009

Summer at the Seaside

Just back from a few days in Southport, where we used to live.  A simple party yesterday to celebrate my parents' Golden Wedding Anniversary, a lovely afternoon of cake and children and buffet and champagne.  

It was too cold and windy to feel like the summer, but there were people in the town on holiday.  The beach was deserted but the amusement arcade was very busy.  I have always hated such places, to me they are noisy and expensive and far too busy.  Another version of the summer, though, a holiday of English seaside pleasures; amusement arcades, an afternoon on the beach, fish and chips, coloured strings of lights swaying in the evening breeze.  Blackpool we could see on the horizon, a nuclear glow at night.  It made me realise how little I miss urban life.  And perhaps what a miserable get I am.  

No comments: