Sunday 23 August 2009

A Day of Birds

Some days we see more than others.  Yesterday I was in the garden looking at the view and a sparrowhawk flew through the garden and landed in the ash tree about fifteen feet above my head.  I think it was a juvenile as it seemed a little unsure of itself.  A beautiful pale silver colour, banded with darker stripes, with a darker head.  The bird was hidden in the tree but there was an anxious mob of swallows and house martins high above the ash, a swirling mass of birds calling and shrieking at the sparrowhawk.  After about five minutes - five minutes - it flew back the way it came, over the garden and out towards the valley, with a halo of mobbing birds above it.  I hate saying 'it' but I don't know if it was a male or a female.  

Then sitting in the living room in the late afternoon I glanced up to see a red kite swing out of the woods and down the hillside towards the valley side.  

And in the early evening two buzzards were mewing at each other - in play or courtship or war I do not know - in and out of the trees above the house, tumbling over each other in the air, through the trees then out and back again, until they disappeared over towards the quarry.  

No comments: