Wednesday 26 August 2009

Crepuscule

I do not notice twilight unless I am out in it.  Tonight I found an hour to trim the hedge at the front and it got dark as I was working.  When I went outside the light was grey and starting to fade, when I came in the street light was on.

There is something very beautiful about working in fading light.  The eyes adapt very quickly so that electric light seems harsh and alien;  I trundled the wheelbarrow to the quarry in deep gloom and only saw people outside the pub by the light of their cigarettes and the low murmur of voices; yet I could see perfectly well.  Bats started to appear near the church, and when I was finished I watched them against the (surprisingly) bright grey of the last of the sunset.  It looked as though the sky was still lit but that the light had drained from the earth.  And it was nearly dark at 9pm.  

Is crepuscule a word?  It should be.

No comments: