Monday 6 July 2009

Monsoon

The warm weather seems to have broken.  Last night and for most of today we have had heavy showers, which have refilled the water butt and drenched the garden, which was much needed.  The grass everywhere is very tall, the chard are picking up, the courgettes are starting to flower and the broccoli seems to have established itself.  I always plan to deep-fry courgette flowers with rice and mushrooms inside as I ate this once in Rome; but here I am still cooking on a camping stove so it's probably a waste.  

Warm wet days and nights have their own beauty.  I love reading at night with the window open, or lying in bed by candlelight with the window open listening to the steady rain.  I left the kitchen windows open the other night and left the light on by accident; going in to prepare supper the ceiling was alive with moths and small insects, but I ignored them and left the window as it was and they had all gone by the morning.

No comments: