Wednesday 17 June 2009

Horus Non Numero

After four days of warm sunshine, this morning the weather changed.  It is still warm but it has rained on and off all day, felt sultry, threatening, overcast; as if waiting for a thunderstorm.  And then at about 6pm the cloud lifted and the sun came out, clearing the air, shifting the clouds.  After a stuffy gloomy afternoon, it feels as if we have been given extra hours of daylight.  

Today we considered the idea of going to a Pick-Your-Own farm and gathering a few punnets of soft fruit; and I thought of Summer Pudding.  The words sound like a full tummy being genially patted.  

And then I realise that it rained heavily yesterday too, and possibly the day before; that in effect I am in summer-time and choosing only to see the sunshine.  I am more positive than I thought!  It reminds me of a Latin tag that I first came across in a James Thurber story.  I can't remember anything of the story but the phrase has stayed with me - horus non numero nisi serenas.  I think it's spelled properly!  It was inscribed on a sundial in the story and was translated as 'I count only the serene hours'.  A very summery inscription!

No comments: